Thursday, July 7, 2011

Get Your Piece

Attention!
I have a pie on the windowsill
Most of the inside's fried
I guess some good can be found in a slice or two
Ready to be served
Everyone deserves their piece
Gather the plates and the forks
Gather some napkins in case of a mess
It's bound to happen
Get in line and be patient
And be content for what you get
Up first is the bullshit
The altercations
The downright fights
Talks of leaving
Talks of finding new places to live
Talks of being homeless
I hear the sounds that last past the sunlight
Last until the dark nights
Hide the kid, earmuffs, she can't hear it
Move along
I don't want to smell that piece anymore
Let alone see it
Get it away
Move along
Next in line gets the petty piece
The constant nagging and bitching and biting
It'll rip your damn head off
Clean off
It often doesn't mean to
But you need to stay on guard
It's going to be hard, a real pain in the ass
Not to flip shit
But at the end of it
You shouldn't feel guilt
After all
Someone's always got to drink the last of the milk
Third in line
How are you?
How's life going?
That happened?
I can't believe that happened
You get partial reconciliation
Fast do you mend and tie up the past
Forget the bad
Bring up the rest to fill the holes
Shoveled deep by the moles of hatred
Remember
When we were happy?
That one day when it was all OK?
When we sang along to the car radio?
Ya know, times really do suck now
I guess you can laugh for a few minutes
Kick back for a few minutes
Just enjoy your pie
Next!
Oh it's your lucky day
Hold out your plate
Brace yourself
You get the slice of me
I know the weight is too much for the plate
I apologize
But look on the bright side
You'll be looking on the bright side
Smile and laugh and joke
Be an optimist
Be careful
It has some bite
But the delightful taste won't be ruined
Give it time
Your mind, your tongue
They'll be just fine
You're last, huh?
Sorry about the wait
And thanks for the patience
Your diligence is rewarded with the last slice
What's that?
Yes, it is hilarious
My mind is usually on food
Pie is good, so I made it
For you as much as for me
You're a funny fucker
So here it is
It's promise
Confidence that all should be well
The walks through Hell will end
With expectations of Utopia
Will they let you in with black eyes?
Guess we'll find out
Can I actually have a bite of that piece?
Please, I haven't quite tried it yet
Hmm, not bad
But something might be missing
Can't put my finger on it
Kind of wishing I'll find it
'Til then, everyone enjoy and have fun
One day I'll make another pie
Each slice will be the same
All the flavors will be perfect
In their perfect place
For now, tell me
How does everything taste?

No comments:

Post a Comment